ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
NOTICE OF PUBLIC ELECTONIC MEETING AND HEARINGS
MONDAY, JUNE 22, 2020 AT 7:00 p.m.
Please take notice that the Leighton Township Zoning Board of Appeals will hold a meeting at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, June 22, 2020, by convening the Zoning Board of Appeals through remote electronic access as provided in this Notice. Proceedings conducted at this meeting are being conducted pursuant to the provisions of the Michigan Open Meetings Act and Executive Orders 2020-75 (COVID-19) and 2020-96 (Stay-At-Home) and any subsequent amendment, extension, or order allowing flexibility in complying with the Michigan Open Meetings Act issued by Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
1. The Zoning Board of Appeals is meeting electronically to receive reports and studies, to discuss issues relevant to the following variance applications, to hold Public Hearings and possibly take final action regarding the following:
a. A variance request from Tony Westhouse for relief from Section 6.05.b of the Leighton Township Zoning Ordinance to construct an accessory structure nearer than 20 feet from a side property line. The property is described as PP#03-13-016-005-10 also known as 708 144th Ave.
b. A variance request from Jim Schut for relief from Section 7B.05(a) of the Leighton Township Zoning Ordinance to construct an off-premise accessory structure closer than 35 feet from the Right of Way. The property is described as unaddressed with frontage on East Lake Drive and Nate Drive, also known as part of parcel 0313-010-081-00.
c. Two variance requests from Brian Miedema for relief from Sections 3.10(f) (accessory structures) and 7.05(c)(3) (lake setbacks in the R-2 Zoning District) of the Leighton Township Zoning Ordinance to construct an accessory structure on a vacant parcel. The property is described as PP# 0313-152-110-00, commonly known as 360 Nuthatch Ct.
d. A variance request from Troy and Jamie Bogema for relief from Section 3.26(b) of the Leighton Township Zoning Ordinance to construct an above ground pool closer than ten feet from a rear lot line. The property is described as PP# 0313-196-052-00, commonly known as 4255 Springwell Court.
e. Any other business that comes before the Zoning Board of Appeals.
2. Further information and materials related to this meeting can be found on the Township’s website at www.leightontownship.org
3. It is recommended that all individuals participate electronically at https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1485443187 or by calling (773)231-9226 and entering ID number 1485443187. For complete instructions, please see the attached participation instruction sheet or the Leighton Township website as indicated above.
4. This meeting and the public hearings are intended to provide an opportunity for Township residents and interested citizens to express their opinions, ask questions, and discuss all aspects of the requests. Those unable to attend the public hearing remotely are invited to submit written comments to the attention of Ron Schrotenboer, Zoning Board of Appeals Chair, care of Leighton Township, 4451 12th Street, Suite A, Wayland, MI 49348 or by calling the Leighton Township Office at 616-891-8238.
- any resident has a physical disability which may limit his/her participation in this hearing, please notify the Township Hall at least five (5) days prior to the hearing so that reasonable accommodations may be made.
RON SCHROTENBOER, CHAIRMAN
LEIGHTON TOWNSHIP ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
- Individuals are encouraged to actively participate in the meeting through electronic participation using Ring Central, including providing public comment, through online electronic conferencing and telephone. To download Ring Central, go to the following link: https://www.ringcentral.com/onlinemeetings/ringcentralmeetings.html?BMID=DESKTOP_APP&pid=41520
- After downloading and launching Ring Central, you may join the meeting using the link or telephone numbers below. If you have trouble joining electronically you are also able to participate by phone by calling the number below.
- HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- It is recommended that all individuals participate electronically. Participants can access the electronic meeting through the following link: https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1485443187
- The Meeting ID is 1485443187
- There is no password required to participate
- If needed, participants can access the meeting via telephone by calling:
(773)231-9226 or (470)869-2200
- The Meeting ID is 1485443187
- Please test your meeting software prior to the meeting. If you are unable to access the software due to technical difficulties, please call Lori Castello, Leighton Township Zoning Administrator, at 616-888-6156 prior to the scheduled meeting. Every effort will be made to ensure participation in the meeting.
- Rules for electronic participation:
- ZBA members are asked to identify themselves by name prior to speaking.
- Members of the public are asked to mute themselves (or the moderator may mute you) until such time Public Comment is called for by the Chairman
- The Chairman may call upon the applicant or staff to provide additional information regarding any matter prior to opening Public Comment.
- The Chairman will call on participating members of the public during Public Comment by the name on your screen or your phone number if calling in.
- Please keep all microphones/audio muted when you are not intentionally speaking to allow for less interruption.
- If you would like to speak as a member of the public, please either raise your hand electronically by using the ‘raise hand’ feature on the app, or if you have video, raise your hand in your screen.
- Participants connected by phone only will be called upon to speak during public comment periods.
- All votes shall be taken by roll call to ensure all participants are able to recognize who is voting. The Secretary should tally each vote and follow a vote by speaking the total for and against, and whether the motion passes or fails.